Anemia - Causes, Symptoms and Home Remedies
What is Anemia:
Anemia is a blood disorder. It is caused due to the low presence of red blood cells and hemoglobin. Red blood cells’ function is to carry the oxygen from lungs to the other parts of body. Due to the low level of red blood cells and hemoglobin, body does not get the required amount of oxygen. The result is anemia. There are many types of anemia. Most common are related to deficiency of nutrients. In them again, iron deficiency anemia is very common.
Causes of Anemia:
- Blood loss caused due to heavy monthly periods, bleeding in the digestive and urinary organs, surgery, physical accident and cancer
- Unusual low making of red blood cells because of kidney disorder, cancer, HIV/AIDS, infection, drugs, pregnancy, hormone deficiency, exposure to radioactive chemicals, lead poisoning
- Unusual loss of red blood cells because of low production of hemoglobin, enzyme deficiencies, red cells are destroyed if their shape is not typical or normal(sickle cell anemia)
The following factors may increase the chances of getting anemia:
- Babies aged below two years (Some babies are born without the ability to make red blood cells. They suffer from aplastic anemia and need regular blood transfusions)
- Low content of iron in diet
- Chronic (long term) diseases and infections
- Family history of anemia
- Frequent blood donation
Symptoms of Anemia:
- Tiredness, weakness and the loss of activeness
- Breathing difficulty
- The falling sensation (dizziness)
- Chest pain
- Hands and feet get coldness
- Unregulated heart beat
- Insomnia (difficulty getting sleep)
Home remedies for Anemia:
Through home remedies, we can prevent and cure anemia to a large extent
- Take iron containing food: beef liver, green leafy vegetable, beets, dried fruits, bran flake, oysters, brown rice, lentils and molasses, prunes, breads and pastas made from whole grain flour, black grapes, plums, strawberries, raisins, onions, squash, carrots, radish, celery and tomatoes, spinach
- Avoid coffee, tea and acid neutralizers as they create difficulty for the processing of iron in our body
- Use iron pots for cooking
- Take required vitamins during pregnancy
- Take natural form of iron (amino acid chelate)
- Beet juice: Having beetroot juice is a very powerful home remedy for iron deficiency anemia
- Fenugreek (Hindi: Methi): leaves and seeds can be used. Very effective. Cook leaves are helpful in preventing anemia in girls who are in teens.
- Lettuce (Hindi: Kasmisaag): take in the tonic form
- Take soyabean in the milk form
- Almond paste: put 7 almonds in the water for 2 hours; remove the red skin; crush it and prepare its paste; eat it every morning up to 3 months
- Black sesame seeds: put one tea spoon of seeds in water; leave it for 2 hours; pound and strain; mix with a cup of milk; for sweetness use jaggery or sugar.
- Honey: use it in the place of sugar; use it in the salads for flavor and to increase their nutritional content; should not be given to kids.
- Dandelion (Hindi: Dudal or Kanphul): take one or 2 tea spoons of extract made through their leaves or root or swallow two capsules a day. You may eat them with your salads also.
- Take one or two tea spoons of yellow doc root tincture daily
- Make sure that your diet is providing the following vitamins and minerals: B12, B6, Folic acid, C, copper and manganese